We finally have some rivalry games played (Tennessee/Florida), and there will be more to come as the season kicks into high gear. Let the National Championship shape begin!
1. USC: DNP. It's no wonder the Trojans start off every season so strong. They begin each year with play a cupcake, get a week off, play a tough opponent, get a week off. Who else in the nation gets 2 bye weeks in the first month?
2. Oklahoma: DNP
3. Missouri: The Tigers destroyed Buffalo. Ho-hum. Now the good stuff begins. They have Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Texas in the next 3 weeks, with 2 of those games on the road.
4. Georgia: Good game against a tough opponent in Arizona State. But this week they have the game of the week. The Dawgs and the Crimson Tide are must see TV ( to "borrow" a phrase from NBC, assuming they don't sue me for intellectual property).
5. Florida: They own Tennessee. Period. End of story.
6. Texas: A drubbing of Rice doesn't impress much. But seeing how the secondary handles Petrino's Arkansas team next week should prove interesting.
7. Alabama: This is a crucial week for the Tide. Can they run with the big "dawgs", or will they have to get off the porch?
8. LSU: I know this is a big drop, considering they beat Auburn, as I expected. However, I didn't expect the Tigers to have such sketchy quarterback play. I think Jarrett Lee might have put that to rest in the seond half, but I'm not confident.
9. Wisconsin: A tough win over #21 Fresno State was impressive; however, I can't put them up too far in the rankings just yet. Why? Because they have #14 Ohio State, #12 Penn State and #22 Illinois in the next five weeks. We'll see how real this team is as they progress through that gauntlet.
10. BYU: These guys will be your BCS Busters this year. They are just pounding teams mercilessly. Another drubbing this week, as they posted a 44-0 destruction over Wyoming. They have #24 TCU in three weeks. If they get by that, it should be clear sailing until the final game of the season on November 22nd when they face #17 Utah for all the marbles.
--Mississippi State is the most unbalanced team I have ever seen. They have an unbelievable defense, and an inept offense. They also managed the worst punt snap I've ever seen in my life. Go to youtube and see if you can find it. Hilarious.
--Penn State has put up 45pts. or more in all four of their games. They have gone to the spread offense. JoePa seems to have gotten with the times. And they have Illinois this weekend. Very interesting, under-the-radar matchup going on.
--Florida vs. Tennessee isn't a rivalry anymore. Not until UT figures out how to become competitive.
--Florida State's defacto decision to have offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher take over whenever Bobby Bowden retires is looking to be a terrible decision. Shouldn't he have been able to recruit a decent quarterback by now? The Seminole QB's have been terrrible for about five years running now.
--Did I mention that you should watch Alabama v. Georgia this weekend? I know that I'll be watching.